Need an affordable new website built?
Websites have became a must for both large and small businesses alike. It seems like if you don’t have one then you might as well….not exist. People are searching for products, businesses and brands totally different then they did 5, 10 and even 20 years ago. The days of instant gratification and information overload is here and here to stay. So, how do you get one of these shiny new fancy objects for your established business or new and upcoming business? Let’s look at your options.
Option 1: Build the new website yourself.
Are you a little tech savvy? Maybe you are a whiz at Photoshop. You might even know someone that has built one of these before. If you are going to take this project on by yourself keep these things in mind.
- You need a logo: A logo is an important part of your business. You really need it somewhere on your website. If you already have one, great! If not, go find a local marketing firm that can help you with it. This project will not break the bank and it will give you a good opportunity to test the marketing services waters.
- What platform should you use for your new website? There are tons of website building programs out there. Some good, some really bad. We recommend that you use WordPress. There is a learning curve. But you can thank us later.
- Who is going to write all of the content? Think about it. A website can be as small as a few pages or nowadays they can be in the millions of pages. Your marketing plan will give you a good idea of how large or small you will need to make it. Oh, you don’t have a marketing plan? Please stop this project right now and finish that up first. If you don’t know how to write a marketing plan. Get some help! It will save you thousands of dollars in the long run!
- SEO (Search Engine Optimization): This is becoming a tricky subject. Google is changing the game every day and rankings are always changing. The only thing that we can suggest is to be prepared to create a lot of content or get out your wallet. A combination of the two is good if you have the time and money. Just because you throw up a website does not guarantee traffic, leads and sales. More than likely it will take you months if not years to get where you want to be.’
Option 2: Have a website builder do it for you.
- The graphic designer/website builder that makes everything look pretty. Yes, your website needs to look pretty. But you also need it to work with what you are doing. Look at your marketing plan and figure out what your goals for the site should be. Is it information, branding, generating leads or selling a product.
- Did the web designer ask you about your marketing plan? If they didn’t then you need to hang up or get in your car right away. You are heading down an endless money pit and you might end up with a website that will not achieve your business goals.
- Website improvements. Websites these days are living breathing things. They need to be updated regularly and tweaked to make sure your visitors are getting the most out of their visit to your site. This takes time. You will need to decide who will be doing the updates and tweaking the site on a daily or weekly basis.
Option 3: Have a marketing firm build your new website.
Yeah, yeah. DIYSB is a marketing firm and we do build websites but hear us out.
- It all starts with a Marketing Plan. Most businesses have a business plan but there are a lot that don’t have a marketing plan. A marketing plan will help you tremendously in creating a strategy to build and promote your website. Think about it. There is a lot of competition out there. You will need to figure out how you are going to stand out and accurately forecast how you are going to promote your business. A well performing website can be a great tool to do that! Now, you have a PLAN!
- The look and feel. A website should reflect the culture of your business. Do you have a physical location? What type of people work there? Who are your potential customers? All of these are important questions that need to be answered before you start building.
- How do you get content for your new website? It MUST be a collaborative effort. Who knows your business best than you and your employees. You and the marketing firm should work together to craft the message on the website. Ideally, the company will provide some content to the marketing firm. This is a starting point. The marketing firm will then take that content an reword it so it is Google friendly so you can be found on searches. Make sense so far?
- Let the building begin! By now you are wondering why building a website is so important and costs a little bit of coin. A marketing firm will have a strategist, content creator, graphic designer and a web designer working on your project. All with the ultimate goal of giving your business the best performing and looking website that you deserve.
- You are never really done. Like we said before. A website is a living and breathing thing. You will need content to share on social media. You will need fresh content for Google, Yahoo and Bing. You will also need to tweak your pages on a regular basis. A marketing firm is your partner in this ongoing process of internet domination! How much content will you need? It all depends on your marketing plan. Do you see a trend yet?
Overwhelmed? Don’t be! You have the option to make this project as easy or as hard as you want. If building a new website was easy everyone would be doing it. It is hard work and it will take patience and determination to get the website exactly how you want it. In the end, the website will probably look totally different two years from now anyway.
What are your next steps?
- Figure out who is going to build your new website?
- Buy your domain if you don’t have one.
- Get quality reliable hosting for you site.
- Make sure you have a plan.
- The most important. Don’t give up!