Week 23: Optimize Your Website
Step 1: Target Market Business Analysis
- Website analysis. Analysis of meta sets/keywords, visible text and code to deter¬mine how well you’re positioned for search engines. For example, how much code do you have on a page compared to text?
- Competitive analysis. Examination of content keywords and present engine rankings of competitive websites to determine an effective engine positioning strategy. Pick the top five results in the Google listing results to begin this process.
- Initial keyword nomination. Development of a prioritized list of targeted search terms related to your customer base and market segment.
Step 2: Keyword Research and Development
- Keyword analysis. From nomination, further identify a targeted list of key¬words and phrases. Review competitive lists and other pertinent industry sources. Use your preliminary list to determine an indicative number of recent search engine queries and how many websites are competing for each keyword. Prioritize keywords and phrases, plurals, singulars and misspellings. (If search users commonly misspell a keyword, you should identify and use it). Please note that Google will try to correct the term when searching, so use this with care.
- Goals and Objectives. Clearly define your objectives in advance so you can truly measure your ROI from any programs you implement. Start simple, but don’t skip this step. Example: You may decide to increase website traffic from a current baseline of 100 visitors a day to 200 visitors over the next 30 days.
Step 3: Content Optimization and Submission
- Create page titles. Keyword-based titles help establish page theme and direction for your keywords.
- Place strategic search phrases on pages. Integrate selected keywords into your website source code and existing content on designated pages.
- Submit website to directories (limited use).
Step 4: Continuous Testing and Measuring
- Test and measure. Analyze search engine rankings and web traffic to determine the effectiveness of the programs you’ve implemented.
- Maintenance. Ongoing addition and modification of keywords and website con¬tent are necessary to continually improve search engine rankings so growth doesn’t stall or decline from neglect.
Weekly Goal: Optimize
Can’t find the time to optimize your website and create content? Let our team do the heavy lifting for you!